Seaview Resort and Spa is one of the island’s largest mid range hotels.
Located at the southern end of Kai Bae Beach, Seaview Resort and Spa has 157 rooms and suites in landscaped gardens by the sea, on the hillside slopes and on the cliff face. Facilities include swimming pools, spa, restaurants and even a funicular railway.
Rooms at Seaview Resort and Spa
Accommodation comes in many different styles:-
- The older cottages are spread about the gardens.
- You’ll find superior rooms and deluxe rooms are in the main hotel building, all ocean fronting.
- Grand deluxe and panoramic rooms are situated in the cliffside building. This is connected to the rest of the resort by funicular railway.
- You can stay in suites either in the main building or by the beach. The family and junior type are located up by the hillside pool.
- Pool Villas are in the rear of the beach area.
The standard amenities in Seview Resort rooms include individually controlled air-conditioning, TVs, cable tv access, safes, tea and coffee making facilties, refridgerators, bathroom accessories, balconies or terraces. The more deluxe rooms have bathtubs or whirlpools and additional seating areas.
Pool and Sea
Seaview Resort has two very pleasant pools, not huge but more more than adequate, one beachside and one cliff-top complete with a slide for the kids. There are also plenty of loungers, with a nice resort policy of no-towel reservation.
The resort is located on the the best section of Kai Bae Beach, with the main pool just steps away fom the sand. Though the sea retreats considerably at low tide, you can still swim most days and this whole stretch of beach is wonderfully peaceful and private. We should point out that it is difficult to cut down the beach when the tide is up due to the seawall.
It also has one of Koh Chang’s most iconic views with the dramatic scattering of unihabited islands offshore. You can very easily kayak out to them and when the tide is low, with suitable footwear, you can walk across the rocks to the nearest and largest, Koh Man Nai.
Spa and Facilities
The Rainforest Spa is open daily from 10.00 to 20.00. You’ll also find a Kids’ Club and Gym on site.
Dining at Seaview Resort
The resort serves a full buffet breakfast at its hillside Seaview 1989 restaurant, where the views are as the name implies, simply stunning. It reverts to a menu for the rest of the day.
The Sunset Beach Restaurant offers a seafood BBQ, alongside an à la carte menu with all the usual Thai favourites. Pizzas from its wood fired pizza oven are just one of the western choices.
There is also a pool bar and a coffee shop.
The food and drink gets mixed reviews but you can head down into Kai Bae Village for alternatives. Look out for Filou, Morgans, Mordi e Funghi, Khao Kham, Wine Gallery, El Barrio and Took Ka Ta Kai Moon among many others.
Seaview Resort and Spa – Our Verdict
Despite its size, Seaview Resort feels very secluded and tucked away from the world at this far end of the beach but that location does have its downsides too – you can feel isolated from Kai Bae itself.
You can hop on a shuttle service down into Kai Bae village at different times of the day, but this can be difficult to rely on. In the heat of the day, that’s an uncomfartable walk down and back up the steep hill but of course fine after a few drinks in the evening.
Design wise, the resort feels a bit of a curate’s egg. The older cottages are perhaps in need of some attention, while the main hotel building down by the sea clashes with its forest surroundings.
The rooms though have some great features, with the use of glass doors giving them light and space. Its cliffside building is spectacular. The two pools and two restaurants occupy terrific positions overlooking the ocean. Indeed, the sunsets here are some of the most spectacular on the whole island.
As one of Koh Chang’s longest established hotels with a solid reputation, Seaview is a very reliable choice in the upper mid-range category.
Prices and Booking – Seaview Resort
From 5,000bt (Superior seaview), 6,500bt (Ocean Suite) to 10,000bt (Honeymoon Suite nd Pool villas) in high season, great deals in low season.
At a Glance – Seaview Resort
- Ocean Cottage, Superior, Deluxe or Grand Deluxe Seaview, Panorama, Honeymoon or Ocean Suite, Junior or Deluxe Family Room. Pool villas.
- Airport transfer, bar, coffee shop, car hire, car park, family room, laundry service, meeting facilities, poolside bar, restaurants, room service, safety deposit boxes, shuttle services, funicular railway, billiards, children’s playground, massage, Spa, fitness center, kids club, outdoor pools, WiFi in all rooms and public areas.
- 0-2 stay for free in crib/cot. Children 0-12 charged at 1,500bt for extra bed. Over 13 are adults. Supplements will be charged as extra.
- Check-In from 14:00, Check-Out by 12:00
Kai Bae Beach is one of Koh Chang’s most popular areas as it offers a bit of everything, attracting families, couples, independent travellers, flashpackers and backpackers. It has a relaxing mix of Thai and western restaurants, fun bars, though it’s not a party zone and plenty of shops.
There are some great stretches of beach too, especially at the southern end, offshore islands, an elephant camp and even a hidden waterfall.
For the full guide, please follow the link here, at Kai Bae Beach
Back to Features/Koh Chang Accommodation