Santhiya Tree Resort (formerly Panviman) is one of Koh Chang’s longest established luxury resorts.
Located on the very popular Klong Prao Beach, Santhiya Tree Resort comprises 85 rooms, swimming pools, massage, restaurants and bar all dotted about immaculately kept tropical gardens or on the river.
Rooms at Santhiya Tree Resort
Rooms comprise 50 Deluxe Villas and 35 Pool Suites in the two separate areas.
- In the garden leading down to the sea:-
- Hideaway Pool Villas.
- Villa Pool Access.
- Garden Villa.
- In the River Hotel block:-
- Grand Pool Suite or Pool Suite, both with a private pool on the balcony.
The amenities in the rooms themselves are everything you would expect of a luxurious resort, with TV, DVD, minibar, safe, bathrooms accessories and wifi access.
The bathrooms are back to nature style, featuring plants and mini waterfalls, with a clear roof creating an impression of being open air.
The main swiming pool is by the sea, with lots of sun loungers and a shower. From there, you can also step straight from the resort onto Klong Prao beach, one of Koh Chang’s best.
The river side hotel block has its own infinity feature length pool
Of course, many of the villas and suites throughout the resort have their own private pools or pool access (several rooms opening onto a shared private pool).
Down by the sea in a traditional Thai pavilion, Ayurvana Beach Massage is open from 10.00 to 19.00 with massage and foot reflexology.
Shuttle and Speedboat
Santhiya Tree is about 1.2 km or 15 minutes walk from the main road down a speed bumped lane. This gives the resort a very peaceful atmosphere but that walk can be a little annoying. The resort has a free shuttle service up to the main road every hour – though feedback suggests it is not always available.
Coming from the mainland, Santhiya Tree is the only resort on the island to offer a direct speedboat transfer. You can combine this flights arriving at Trat Airport from Bangkok
Dining in Santhiya Tree Resort
Santhiya Tree serves a buffet breakfast. It has three restaurants:-
- Chantara down by beach, an open air affair with patio for lunch and dinner, buffet, Thai and International.
- By The Sea – exactly as its says with western and Thai food, cocktails too.
- Saitara – in the new block overlooking the pool and river, western and Thai, breakfast too.
If that is not enough choice, you can easily walk along the beach for further choices, Tiger Huts great for lunch. Once up at the main road too, you’ll discover the night market of small local restaurants. Or head down to the temple area and look out for Kati Culinary, Crust, Toscana Pizzeria, Babylon (Pilot) amongst others.
Santhiya Tree Resort – Our Verdict
Santhiya Tree Resort falls into two camps. First up, the original decor from its day as Panviman Resort features high Northern Thai Lanna style roofs, large rooms with interiors in wood and rattan, lots of nice touches. It’s not a look that will appeal to allcomers, perhaps too gauche and ostentatious for some tastes.
Secondly, we come to the new river block, which we liken to a summer palace. It’s one of the most interesting designs on the island, again opting for that polished wood and rattan decor but adding in those unique private balcony pools.
All in all, the resort has a somewhats showy feel, but is overcomes this with its air of grown-up elegance. It’s a resort for older guests, rather than young families. That said, younger couples will be drawn to the new block for romantic getaways.
No question, Santhiya Tree Resort is one of Koh Chang’s most luxurious places to stay. For peace and quiet and seclusion, it’s hard to beat.
Prices and Booking – Santhiya Tree
From 8,000bt (with breakfast) to 20,000bt (with breakfast) in peak season, great deals in low season.
At a Glance – Santhiya Tree
- Pool Villa, Deluxe Pool Access, Garden Villa, Grand Pool Suite, Pool Suite (both river view).
- Babysitting, bicycle rental, business center, car hire, car park, coffee shop, family room, laundry service, library, meeting facilities, poolside bar, restaurant, room service, safety deposit boxes, kids club, outdoor pool, pool (kids), beach area, in room internet, Wi-Fi in public areas.
- Infants to 1 year free with an accompanied adult, 2-11 years 350bt per night, 11 years upwards 1,500bt per night. Breakfast at 500bt if not in room rate. No Pets.
- Check-In from 14:00, Check-Out by 12:00
The peaceful Klong Prao Beach is a lovely long 3km stretch of sand split by two canals at either end. With its concentration of large upmarket resorts right on the beach, it attracts families, couples and just a few independent travellers.
Around the central temple, it has a good mix of Thai and Western restaurants and plenty of shops, all a short walk only from the sea. It’s not a nightlife area. The area boasts the main waterfall at Klong Plu, elephant camps and cookery schools.
For the full guide, please follow the link here, at Klong Prao Beach
Back to Features/Koh Chang Accommodation