Koh Chang shopping meets all the your usual day to day holiday requirements, whether food, electronics, medical or gifts and souvenirs .
Gifts and Souvenirs
Throughout the major beach areas, particularly White Sand Beach, Kai Bae and Bang Bao, you won’t have to look too hard to find the standard souvenirs of lacquered table accessories, jewellery, cheap clothing and such like.
The prices are higher than in Bangkok, but the stall holders are open to bartering, so you should be able to pick up some decent bargains.
A few places, nonetheless, do stand out from the crowd:-
- Peace Moon, a Thai and Japanese couple turning out wonderful handmade jewellery and leathercraft, has two branches, one in Bang Bao on the pier and one in White Sand Beach.
- You can also get well sourced hammocks in Bailan Beach at Hammock Hut, part of the Jumbo Hammock Project, with all items handmade from the dying to the weaving by northern Mlabri people.
- On the main road by the bridge just before Salak Phet, the little shop sells a wealth of souvenirs made solely from coconut.
In the undeveloped land by Zhong Zi Pad Pad in Klong Prao Beach, there are frequent night markets – the goods on offer tend to be more practical than souvenir orientated, but it’s fun to browse and you can eat here too at the little stalls along the front.
Incidentally, one thing very hard to find are birthday cards – it’s not a Thai custom, so bring them with you!
Electronics – Koh Chang Shopping
For camera and computer shop accessories, try the Advice Shop in White Sand Beach opposite Koh Chang Lagoon Resort.
For laptop repair, head to JJ Com diagonally opposite the Post Office in Pearl Beach or the last unit on the right in front of Leelawadee Resort in Klong Prao – that’s by the road up to the school at the northern end. Both look very unappealing but they come with recommendations.
Big C in Pearl Beach also has a useful phone accessories franchise just inside by the door. For mobile repairs and advice, try either of the shops, TS-Mobile opposite Lotus’s (after the temple) in Klong Prao or OG-IT opposite Morgan in Kai Bae. OG-IT repairs laptops as well.
At the southern end of Klong Prao Beach opposite The Splash, Koh Chang Dental Clinic is open for cosmetic work as well as emergency and is considerably cheaper than back home.
You can find a couple of opticians in White Sand Beach. Others in Chai Chet, Klong Prao and Kai Bae tend to come and go – remember to check times for delivery before you go ahead and order.
Well stocked pharmacies are found all over too – they usally speak very good English too.
For full details on Hospitals and Clinics, please see this page.
The island has numerous outlets selling beachwear, shorts, t-shirts and so on – you’ll always be able to find what you need. There are a couple of boutiques here and there – opposite Janrassamee in Lonely Beach is one to look out for and at Summer Breeze on the little hill at the start of Chai Chet.
If you feel the need for a new suit or dress, the Nepalese tailors are on all the major beaches – as to who is the best, maybe ask in the Koh Chang Talk Facebook page.
You can get western foodstuffs all over, but Foodland underneath Top Resort in White Sand Beach and Anna Store, same beach, but a bit further up the hill at the southern end, are both very well stocked.
VJ’s in VJ Plaza Chai Chet and Sing Thong towards the southern end of Klong Prao are two other popular large stores to look out for.
As for superstores, Lotus’s and Big C are both based in Pearl Beach, with Makro Food in White Sand Beach, the southern end. Klong Prao and Kai Bae both have Lotus Express, whilst Mini Big Cs are in Klong Son and White Sand Beach. There are also numerous 7-11s in White Sand Beach, Chai Chet, Klong Prao Beach , Kai Bae and Salak Phet.
White Sand Beach has a street food market each evening just by Kacha Resort.
All of the major retailers run have extensive alcohol sections but they do not allow sales between 14.00 and 17.00. Anna Store, Sing Thong, Wine Gallery in either of its outlets (Kai Bae or Lonely Beach) are all very well stocked too.
Koh Chang Tattoo Artists
There are a wide selection of tattoo shops on the island, both machine and bamboo. Prices are considerably cheaper than in the west and as you would expect, there are some very good artists out there.
A few names that consistently crop up, with an excellent reputations for design, professionalism and hygiene are:-
- Best Tattoo opposite Mac Resort and Bar in White Sand Beach – Facebook here.
- Female Artist, Naka, also in White Sand Beach near Kacha Resort – Facebook here.
- Danny in Lonely Beach – he’s based in the row of shop houses by the bridge at the top of the village – Facebook here.
- Also in Lonely Beach, Boy at Boy Bamboo Tattoo has a loyal following and great reviews – Facebook here.
- King at Bambootattoo – up in Bang Bao Beach (Klong Goi) – ask at Mandala Restaurant in the back lanes by the lagoon – take a left once over the little bridge by the main road.
- Chan Siam at Ginger Home – Facebook here – same area as King above.
Otherwise, the bottom of Soi 1 in Lonely Beach was known as Tattoo Alley pre Covid but the downturn caused a fair few tattooists to close. If the tourists return, we’re sure they will too. And, there are other studios on each beach so do ask around too.
UPDATED NOVEMBER 22 for 22/23 Season
Return to Things to Do in Koh Chang