To travel from Bangkok to Koh Kood, you can use either private transfers by car or minibus, flights to Trat Airport or scheduled buses and minibuses.
With a distance of 320km, journey time is 4 to 4.5 hours from east Bangkok at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to Laem Sok Pier, the mainland departure point for Koh Kood. Add up to an hour for travel from a central Bangkok address or from Don Mueang Airport (DMK).
Private Transfers from Bangkok to Koh Kood
Using a private transfer by SUV car or minibus is the easiest way to get from Bangkok to Koh Kood. It’s door to door, comfortable, allows time for some convenience stops and also very cost effective.
An SUV car for 2/3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children is 3,900bt excluding the boat tickets. A private minibus is 4,500bt, suitable for 7 to 8 persons maximum.
The car or minibus can collect you directly from your Bangkok hotel. Travel time is between 4.5 to 5.5 hours. Collection times are scheduled according to which boat you would like to catch, see below.
You can also be met at a pre-arranged point at either Suvarnabhumi (BKK) or Don Mueang (DMK) Airports.
If arriving on an International flight at BKK, you must land no later than 08.30 (08.00 DMK) to make the boat connection at 14.20. This cut-off time allows for at least a further 45 minutes to an hour for taxiing to the Terminal, Immigration and baggage reclaim as well as travel time of 4 to 4.5 hours to Laem Sok Pier. If flying in on a domestic flight, the cut-off time can shift a bit later to 09.00 at BKK (08.30 at DMK), as there is no Immigration required.
Boats to Koh Kood from Laem Sok Pier
Koh Kood does not have car ferries where you can drive on and off as is the case with Koh Chang. Instead, different companies run passenger boats at set times boats during the day.
- Boonsiri – catamaran, 10.45 and 14.20, 600bt per person, duration 60 minutes. Children 5 and over are full price.
- Koh Kut Express, express boat, 13.00, 500bt per person, duration 75 to 80 minutes. Children 4 and over are full price.
- Koh Kood Princess – express boat, 12.30, 300bt per person, duration 90 minutes. Children 1 to 9 are 1/2 price.
- Koh Kut Express Speedboat (high season only) – 10.00 and 15.00 (depending on demand), 600bt per person, duration 60 minutes. Children 4 and over are full price.
- On arrival at Koh Kood, all boat companies provide a free share shuttle taxi from the arrival pier to your resort. The speedboat can also deliver direct to some resorts.
If you cannot make the boat connection, you can stay either in Trat or at Laem Sok Pier.
For enquiries on both the private transfer and the accompanying boat tickets, you can contact us here.
Flying from Bangkok to Trat Airport
You can also fly from Bangkok Airport to Trat Airport (TDX) in an hour and then take onward transport to Laem Sok Pier for Koh Kood, also about an hour.
Bangkok Airways are the only airline which operates this route. It leaves from BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).
- For 2022, they offer 1 flight daily, PG305, which departs at 11.40, landing at 12.40.
- From the end of October 2022, Bangkok Airways will add an evening flight, PG307, departing at 16.55 and landing at 17.55. This will not make any boat connections, so you need to stay in either Trat or by the pier.
- Flight prices are from 3,610bt per person, one way, excluding taxes. Web Saver style tickets are available for early bird booking.
From Trat Airport to Laem Sok Pier.
- A private car is 1,500bt excluding the boat tickets. A private minibus is 1,700bt. You link to the 14.20 or if running the 15.00 speedboat.
- There is also a combination service of share minibus linking to the 14.20 boat. The price is 1,000bt, including the boat ticket. Children 4 and under are 400bt.
- Travel time between Trat Airport and Laem Sok Pier is about an hour.
For either of these services and the accompanying boat tickets with the private option, you can contact us here.
Buses and Minibuses from Bangkok to Koh Kood
There are bus services from Bangkok to Laem Sok Pier, either from the Khao San Road or the public bus station at Ekamai.
Boonsiri runs a daily bus service at 05.00 which connects to its 10.45 boat, 1,100bt per person, including the boat ticket. Children under 5 years are 500bt. If tourist numbers increase, they may add a second daily service at 07.30 which will link with their 14.20 boat.
From Ekamai, there are early morning public buses run by Cherdchai or share minibuses run by TTT which head to Trat Bus Station. Subject to change, times are 04.30/05.00 or 05.30/06.00, arriving at around 11.00 or 12.00. Prices are approximately 260bt for the bus or 320bt for the minibus. We recommend you either go early on the travel day to ensure a seat or if possible go the day before to confirm departure times. Ekamai is on the BTS (Sky Train).
From Trat Bus Station, you take one of the open sided songthaew taxis at 40bt per person to the pier. It takes an hour. Any later services from Ekamai are cutting it fine if you want to make the boat connection at 14.20.
There are also bus and minibus services from Morchit, with similar prices and times to Ekamai. Again, get there early to make sure you are on the road to make the boat connections.
For the Boonsiri service, you can contact us here.
Driving from Bangkok to Laem Sok Pier
The route from Bangkok to Laem Sok is relatively straightforward – here is Google Maps route.
As a quick precis, follow Highway 7 out of east Bangkok and continue on this until turning onto Highway 344 near Chon Buri. Once on the 344, carry on until near Klaeng and then join Highway 3. Stay on this past Chantaburi until you reach Trat.
In Trat, stay on Highway 3 as it becomes Highway 3148 and drive straight through the town past the hospital, the market and out the other side. After the large Shell and PTT gas stations, take a left at the junction/traffic lights onto the rural road 3155 – it’s clearly signposted for Laem Sok. Follow this for 25km or so before turning onto the rural road 4008 for the final stretch.
Boonsiri is down a turning to the left about a kilometre before the pier. Koh Kood Princess and Koh Kut Express are on the left hand side of the main road, with the pier at the end. Secure parking at each company is 100bt per day.
Road signs are in both Thai and English. The main highways are 3 to 4 lanes, fast. You’ll find frequent police checkpoints along the 344 (and they are keen on unwarranted stops).
Koh Kood to Bangkok – In Brief
Of course, all services are available in the other direction from Koh Kood back to Bangkok.
Private Transfers from Laem Sok to Bangkok
With private transfers, the driver meets you with a name sign directly off the boat at Laem Sok Pier. If booked at the same time as the down trip, there is a price reduction.
Boats leave from Koh Kood as follows:-
- Boonsiri – catamaran, 09.00 and 12.00, 600bt per person, duration 60 minutes. Children 5 and over are full price.
- Koh Kut Express, express boat, 10.00, 500bt per person, duration 75 to 80 minutes. Children 4 and over are full price.
- Koh Kood Princess – express boat, 10.00, 300bt per person, duration 90 minutes. Children 1 to 9 are 1/2 price.
- Koh Kut Express Speedboat (high season only) – 11.00 and 13.00 (depending on demand), 600bt per person, duration 60 minutes. Children 4 and over are full price.
- For departure from Koh Kood, all boat companies provide a free share shuttle taxi from your resort to the pier. The speedboat can also collect direct from some resorts.
Flying from Trat Airport back to Bangkok
Currently, there is only one flight per day, PG306 at 13.10, arriving in BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport at 14.10. You need to be there about 90 minutes before so you use the 09.00 boat off Koh Kood. You could, in theory, use one of the 10.00 express boats but it is cutting things fine.
From 30/10/22, the evening flight, PG308, is being added to the schedule. With the last boat at 12.00 docking at 13.00 or if running, the speedboat at 13.00 docking at 14.00, that equates to a very long wait at the Airport.
- To get from Laem Sok Pier to Trat Airport, you can use a private transfer, rates as above. The price is reduced if booked as part of a round trip.
- There is also a combination service of 09.00 boat and share minibus at 1,000bt per person.
Buses from Laem Sok to Bangkok
The Boonsiri boat/bus combination is available with the 12.00 boat. The bus leaves from their office around 13.30, same price as above at 1,100bt all-in. You arrive at Khao San Road aroun 20.30. It can also drop you at the Airport Rail Link at Lad Krabang.
Suvarnabhumi Burapa Company have a bus back to Suvarnabhumi Airport at 12.00 from outside the Koh Kut Express office. It’s 500bt, arrival time around 18.00. It may continue onto Ekamai, Khao San and Morchit, though the cost does increase by 50bt to 150bt.
Public buses run at regular intervals from Trat Bus Station back to Ekamai, with less frequent ones to Morchit Bus Station. To get to Trat Bus Station, you hop on a songthaew taxi from the pier.
Back to Features/Travel